With it being the start of another school year we wanted to remind parents of procedures with regards to pick-up and drop-off in our parking lot. Please remember that while not always convenient following these guidelines will ensure that pick-up/drop-off runs smoothly and safely.
• We are seeing parents who are parking on the north side of the parking lot in the mornings and waiting with their students in the car until the bell rings. Parking spaces on the north side of the building that are WEST of the crosswalk are for faculty and staff only. Students need to be dropped off in front of the building. Parents driving in this area prevents our students from remaining safe in the crosswalk on the north side of the building.
• If you are dropping your students off somewhere other than directly in front of the school in the drop-off lane, please make sure that your students are using the crosswalk located north of the school. Parents and students need to use the crosswalk that is on the north side of the school. We are seeing many situations where students are being dropped off across the street and are then crossing the street NOT in the crosswalk. We are also seeing many situations of parents dropping their students at the curb on the east side of the parking lot and then letting them run through the school parking lot while cars are entering and exiting. PLEASE remind students to use the crosswalk located north of the school when crossing the street and to use the sidewalk and crosswalk on the north side of the parking lot to get to the school if not being dropped off directly in front of the school.
• For the safety of students, please ensure that students who are exiting or entering vehicles in front of the school do so ONLY through the car doors that are closest to the curb. Please do not let students enter/exit vehicles via doors that face the drive thru lane.
• When dropping students off in the morning it is NOT okay for parents to pull in front of the school and wait with their children in the car in the drop off lane until the bell rings- this prevents other parents from dropping their students off; students are NOT permitted to walk through the parking lot to get to whomever it is picking them up- the only place that it is okay for a student to get into a vehicle is after they pull in front of the school into the pick-up lane. Students are also NOT permitted to walk through the parking lot when being dropped off or picked up. It is not okay for students to exit their vehicle in the lanes on the east side of the parking lot. Students need to wait until they are in the lane in front of the school before they exit their vehicle.
• During pick-up and drop-off please remember that there is only ONE lane to enter the school. Please follow proper lane directions when driving through the parking lot. Note the north entrance/exit is blocked off and the center turning lane is blocked off in order to make sure that pick-up and drop-off runs smoothly. Also, please remember that there is no left turn when leaving the school during pick-up and drop-off times. Please do not move the cones at any time.
• Please refrain from parking in the spaces on the east side of the parking lot during pick-up and drop-off hours which are 8:00 AM-8:30 AM and 2:30 PM-3:30 PM.
• We know that many of you pull up in front of the school to wait to pick-up your students to be released at the end of the school day. Due to our poor air quality, we have been asked to remind all parents to please turn their vehicles off while waiting for students. Please do not let your cars idle while waiting for your students after school. Parents need to remain in their vehicle during pick-up and drop-off. If you need to exit your vehicle for any reason during pick-up/drop-off, please park your vehicle.
The Clinton City Police Department has also asked us to warn all parents that they will be writing citations to individuals parked or dropping off students in the red zone. They will also be writing citations to individuals who are crossing the street outside of the crosswalk. The safety of our students is Voyage Academy’s and Clinton City’s top priority. Please remember that these guidelines are for the safety of our students, visitors, faculty, and staff.
Thank you for making sure that you and your students are following proper parking lot procedures.