Tuesday, October 31st will be our Halloween celebration! Students are welcome and encouraged to wear their Halloween costumes to school this day to participate in our Halloween activities. Masks and weapons will not be allowed with Halloween costumes. Minimal face paint is allowed as long as it is not distracting. Our Halloween Parade will begin at 9:00 AM and parents and families are invited to attend. Both AM and PM kindergarten students will attend school from 8:25 to 10:25 AM to allow them to participate in our Halloween Parade. School will be dismissed at 1:00 PM on Halloween for all other students (grades 1-6). Please plan accordingly.
Thursday, November 2nd will be a Dress Down Day! The student who won the Principal for the Day basket at our Fall Carnival has set this day as a dress down day. One of the privileges they were given in the basket is to create a rule for one day. A free dress down day is what was chosen!
There has been a lot of confusion and a lot of people have questioned what Voyage Academy’s dress code policy states as far as jackets worn inside the building. The following is what is stated in the Voyage Academy Dress Code Policy:
“Jackets (worn inside the building)
• Must have a zipper
• Must be school colors, including the zipper and strings
• Pattern is allowed as long as it is school colors and not distracting
• Hoods are acceptable, but cannot be worn inside the building
• Collars must be visible
Winter attire (coats, jackets, snow pants, gloves and hats) are not subject to the uniform color restrictions, and should be worn outside the building.”
Please take note that hoodies (pull-over sweatshirts without a zipper) are NOT acceptable uniform attire and cannot be worn on uniform dress days. Students are able to wear hoodies on dress down days. Be the Good hoodies and t-shirts are also only to be worn on dress down days or Be the Good days which the school sponsors each month. If students are found wearing a hoodie while in the school on a uniform dress day they will be asked to remove the hoodie and place it in their locker.
If you ever have a question regarding our Dress Code Policy, please contact the office.
We are noticing a growing number of students who are coming to school wearing shirts that have no sleeves or have no shoulders in their sleeves (cold-shoulder shirts). Please remember that students are not permitted to wear shirts that do not cover their arms even on Friday Dress Down Days. Please remember that our dress code states that our uniform dress code policy will not be enforced on Fridays. In addition to sleeveless shirts, please remember that our dress code policy states that students MAY NOT wear the following on Dress Down Days:
• tank tops, spaghetti strap tops, and sleeveless shirts
• Undergarments worn as an outer garment or any see-through clothing that reveals an undergarment
• Short shorts and short skirts. Skirt and short length should be NO SHORTER than 2 inches above the knee
• Pajamas (may only be worn on designated days approved by the Director)
• Tights, leggings, and jeggings are NOT permitted unless worn under a dress or skirt
Attached is the calendar for the 2017-2018 school year. Please remember that attendance is a top priority at Voyage Academy. Please plan all family vacations around the school calendar. Students cannot miss multiple weeks of school due to family vacations. Voyage Academy is a school of Expeditionary Learning and most of what your student will learn during the school day can NOT be made up with homework. Students are expected to arrive on-time, with required materials, ready to learn.
With it being the start of another school year we wanted to remind parents of procedures with regards to pick-up and drop-off in our parking lot. Please remember that while not always convenient following these guidelines will ensure that pick-up/drop-off runs smoothly and safely.
• We are seeing parents who are parking on the north side of the parking lot in the mornings and waiting with their students in the car until the bell rings. Parking spaces on the north side of the building that are WEST of the crosswalk are for faculty and staff only. Students need to be dropped off in front of the building. Parents driving in this area prevents our students from remaining safe in the crosswalk on the north side of the building.
• If you are dropping your students off somewhere other than directly in front of the school in the drop-off lane, please make sure that your students are using the crosswalk located north of the school. Parents and students need to use the crosswalk that is on the north side of the school. We are seeing many situations where students are being dropped off across the street and are then crossing the street NOT in the crosswalk. We are also seeing many situations of parents dropping their students at the curb on the east side of the parking lot and then letting them run through the school parking lot while cars are entering and exiting. PLEASE remind students to use the crosswalk located north of the school when crossing the street and to use the sidewalk and crosswalk on the north side of the parking lot to get to the school if not being dropped off directly in front of the school.
• For the safety of students, please ensure that students who are exiting or entering vehicles in front of the school do so ONLY through the car doors that are closest to the curb. Please do not let students enter/exit vehicles via doors that face the drive thru lane.
• When dropping students off in the morning it is NOT okay for parents to pull in front of the school and wait with their children in the car in the drop off lane until the bell rings- this prevents other parents from dropping their students off; students are NOT permitted to walk through the parking lot to get to whomever it is picking them up- the only place that it is okay for a student to get into a vehicle is after they pull in front of the school into the pick-up lane. Students are also NOT permitted to walk through the parking lot when being dropped off or picked up. It is not okay for students to exit their vehicle in the lanes on the east side of the parking lot. Students need to wait until they are in the lane in front of the school before they exit their vehicle.
• During pick-up and drop-off please remember that there is only ONE lane to enter the school. Please follow proper lane directions when driving through the parking lot. Note the north entrance/exit is blocked off and the center turning lane is blocked off in order to make sure that pick-up and drop-off runs smoothly. Also, please remember that there is no left turn when leaving the school during pick-up and drop-off times. Please do not move the cones at any time.
• Please refrain from parking in the spaces on the east side of the parking lot during pick-up and drop-off hours which are 8:00 AM-8:30 AM and 2:30 PM-3:30 PM.
• We know that many of you pull up in front of the school to wait to pick-up your students to be released at the end of the school day. Due to our poor air quality, we have been asked to remind all parents to please turn their vehicles off while waiting for students. Please do not let your cars idle while waiting for your students after school. Parents need to remain in their vehicle during pick-up and drop-off. If you need to exit your vehicle for any reason during pick-up/drop-off, please park your vehicle.
The Clinton City Police Department has also asked us to warn all parents that they will be writing citations to individuals parked or dropping off students in the red zone. They will also be writing citations to individuals who are crossing the street outside of the crosswalk. The safety of our students is Voyage Academy’s and Clinton City’s top priority. Please remember that these guidelines are for the safety of our students, visitors, faculty, and staff.
Thank you for making sure that you and your students are following proper parking lot procedures.
Our office hours are Monday-Thursday 8:00 AM to 3:30 PM and 8:00 AM to 1:30 PM on Friday. Please make sure to pick up your child as soon as school is dismissed. If you ever have a question regarding Voyage Academy please contact the office or refer to our website www.voyageacademyutah.org.